Sunday, March 31, 2013

How I found Les Mis....

Hey Guys!
So I'm going to share my expirence of finding Les Miserables:)

So it all started at the movie theater in October of 2012.

I was going to Pitch Perfect (I know, horrible movie, Syd. What were you thinking? Know that I don't promote it in ANY way and when I went I didn't know what it was really about!) My friend and I were sitting there, at the theater, watching the trailers. All of the trailers looked, well, blah. Everything looked predictable and cheesy. Nothing I wanted to waste my time on. (I'm kinda picky about the movies I watch. I don't want to watch anything that is going to waste my time.) Then, here comes this trailer. Me and my friend had chatted quietly through most of the other trailers but not this one. Anne's 'I dreamed a dream' captivated me. I'm pretty sure I held my breath. When it was over, I whispered to my friend, "I want to see that."

Okay, so I had heard about Les Miserables before. My vocal teacher sang 'On My Own' during our first lesson together. But, see, I was (and still am) a die-hard Phantom Phan. I didn't think any musical could possibly take its place. But after that trailer, I decided to look into it a bit more. I read the synopsis on Wikipedia (Which is really confusing, by the way....) I thought to myself, "Well, this is certainly interesting...." I honestly wasn't sure what I thought about it.

But then I was at Target and saw the 25th anniversary concert. I thought to myself, "Well, I can check this out and see what all the hype is about!!" So I bought it. I must say, when I watched it the first time I was absolutely confused. The time jumps were confusing. I just really had NO clue what I was watching. But I got the gist of it. Convict on the run for stealing something. He repents. He is chased by an evil cop. He saves a prostitute's child. He raises the child. The child grows up and falls in love with awkward student (We must keep in mind I was watching Nick Jones...) Student is friends with girl who is in love with him. There is a angry guy in a red vest (If only I had known that the angry guy would steal my heart in just a few months;D) Just about everyone dies.

That's really all I thought about the story. I didn't think it was that big a deal. Phantom was better, I told myself.

But then, after my Aunt sent me the Original Cast Recording CD, I realized there was SO much more to this story. I started the book (And quit after struggling for a month...) I listened to cast recordings every day. I watched the 10th anniversary concert. I realized that this was the best musical ever.

But it wasn't until Christmas 2012 when I honestly fell in love with it. I went to see it with my Aunt and Grandma. And suddenly, I realized that this story meant the world to me. I realized that this was the most amazing movie I had ever seen. I had no words. Sometimes it takes the movie to help you fall in love with the story.

A few days later, I started the Brick again and finished it a month and a half later (I'm going to start reading it again;D) I went to the movie 2 more times. This is when I entered the Fandom. I started a Pinterest board. I just couldn't believe how much to this story there was.

And the rest is History, I guess. You guys know how much I love this movie/musical/book/story! And while I haven't been in this *amazing* fandom for very long, I can't remember life without Les Mis. I don't remember not singing at least one of the songs or feeling an empty space in my heart because my Barricade Boys are dead!

So that's my Les Mis story:)

I was thinking, maybe some of you would like to do a guest post about how you found Les Miserables! If you're interested shoot me an email at sydsummergirl24601@gmail.com and I'll give you the details!

Hope you all have a fabulous Easter with your family!
Over and Out!
Sydney
PS. I just got my new Les Miserables poster in the mail! I was absolutely thirlled when I realized I ordered the French poster! I don't even know how that happened:)

No comments:

Post a Comment